Thursday, November 11, 2010

I have to admit, I've had the song "Bicycle Race" by Queen stuck in my head since Tuesday. Why, you might ask? Well, check out my new bike!!
 
In a previous post, I mentioned how it might be a good project for Jared to fix up a cruiser bike for me. He was actually really excited about the idea, and we decided that if we find one, he could get it for me as a Christmas gift.  Since then, we've been watching for any cruiser bikes that might show up on Craigslist or anywhere else. Last week, Jared found a great bike, but by the time he called it was already sold! Then over this past weekend, we had another disappointment. I found the perfect bike at an antique mall in Howell for only $36. Full of excitement, I dragged Jared and his parents there, only to discover that I had failed to notice the 1 before that number, and it was actually $136--not quite the price we wanted to pay for a bike that would take a fair amount of fixing up. It was quite the let down. But on Tuesday, this beauty popped up on Craigslist.
She's a 1950 Schwinn Cadillac Women's Cruiser. You can kind of see the Cadillac logo on this head badge.  
She's been hanging out in someone's shed for probably 20 years now, gathering dust and a whole lot of rust, but she still has a sturdy frame, some awesome fenders and curves in all the right places. Needless to say, we decided to give her a new home.
Unfortunately, there's still a lot of work that needs to be done before I get to ride my bicycle. She may be a beauty, but right now she's a bit of a monster. 
Fortunately, I know just the guy to give her a little love. She'll need some work, probably a bunch of new parts (white wall tires, anyone? yay!!) and obviously a new paint job (yellow, please), but I'm so excited for my new bike! Happy Christmas to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment