Tuesday, October 26, 2010





Well, it's official---I love Halloween! All the costumes, spookiness, pumpkins, colorful leaves, and of course, candy!! But I have realized this week that there is one thing I do not like about Halloween....the pumpkin carving contest at my work. It's not that I dislike carving pumpkins at work--it's actually really fun to walk through the library with my hands covered in pumpkin goop---it's that I do not like group projects. You see, every year, the library hosts a library-wide Halloween party along with a contest where each department submits a carved pumpkin ( or two). In the past years, my Government Documents department has tried to submit a pumpkin that is somewhat Gov. Docs themed. Three years ago, we did a globe like this one:
Then last year, we did a set of three pumpkins featuring the statue of liberty, the liberty bell and the Lincoln memorial. Here's how they turned out:
They were intricate and lovely, but what do you think won the competition?
A stupid Swine Flu pumpkin like this one:
But not even that detailed. It was an outrage. Ok, or maybe I'm just bitter, but the whole thing didn't exactly make me excited for the pumpkin project this year :)
But nevertheless, my mornings at work this week have been devoted to tirelessly searching for a creative and witty idea for a pumpkin. See, it has to either be creative (like the Swine Flu one, apparently) or scream pop culture enough that people have no choice but to love it...like a character from a popular movie. And of course, I love making things somewhat over the top and detailed--I'm never one to shy away from hours of menial work if the end result is awesome. So when one of my coworkers submitted this duo of Star Wars pumpkins...
Darth Vader and the Death Star
I was excited. They would be perfect! And while the Death Star looks daunting, it's actually not that hard--just some boxes and such. We had a couple other ideas too--
Nightmare Before Christmas themed pumpkins
From Where the Wild Things Are
But the favorites so far have been Star Wars or else this one. 
 
We'll probably  end up using this last one--some people seem to think the Star Wars ones are too much work (*sigh*).But I guess I can't complain, this pumpkin is pretty creative, and actually pretty cute. But I guess I'll just have to use one of the other awesome ideas on my own pumpkin, which I will be getting tomorrow!!! Yay!
Happy week before Halloween everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment