Thursday, October 28, 2010

Well everyone, it's that time of the week for a review of my bookshelf. Unfortunately, I'm still reading the same book as last week.....but I figure this is a good time for some old favorites. And, since this is the week before Halloween and apparently I'm obsessed with Halloween...these books may contain a lot of monsters and possibly even some spookiness. 

The Gates by John Connolly
You know how there's that old saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover"? Well, I don't believe in that-- I judge books for their covers all the time.  That's how I stumbled across author John Connolly-- I was drawn to this cover for his  The Book of Lost Things. After enjoying this book, I started researching him and discovered he's a bestselling Irish author famous for crime thrillers--not exactly my style. But in recent years, he's written two novels with lighter, more fantastical themes, The Book of Lost Things and topic of today's post,  The Gates. Perfect for this Halloween season, The Gates tells the story of a small boy and his dog's adventures after his neighbors accidently open the gates of Hell, allowing the creatures within to wander into our world. Now, it sounds dark and scary and kind of...I don't know...horror-esque, but this book is surprisingly hilarious. John Connolly manages to create a mature, multidimensional story filled with a cast of hilariously loveable demons who are not in the least bit scary. With his witty and deceivingly light writing, Connolly creates a supernatural masterpiece with this monster filled fairytale. 

And lets face it....I just realized that I don't really read scary things...so for the sake of not ending up with  a big old list of teen vampire, werewolf, fairy and immortal novels (all of which I adore, by the way), I'll just end it with this! Does anyone have any spooky recommendations for the Halloween season? 

No comments:

Post a Comment