Thursday, October 28, 2010

 
Only three more days until Halloween....oh, and only two until my Birthday! How about that? 
We've had some crazy weather this pre-Halloween season in Kalamazoo. On Tuesday, I drove to work listening to the gusts of wind and warnings of severe weather throughout the region. After hearing weather alerts at work, warning of tornados in regions that grew closer and closer to Kalamazoo throughout the morning, I soon regretted my decision to park under a tree. And as I headed to the library's basement, armed with our department's first aid kit, a two way radio, some flashlights, blankets, and a book--just in case--I  regretted my decision even more. But fortune was smiling upon me that day, and I, along with the car, survived the day unscathed. 
Later that evening, Jared and I drove out to Mattawan to attend the Kalamazoo Young Life banquet, where we ate some great food and had the opportunity to join a hundred other adults in a marshmallow fight. It was a great time! It was encouraging to see so many supporters of Young Life in one room.
The banquet was Pirate themed. Jared makes a better pirate than me, I think :)
We're looking forward to joining a community in Langley as supportive as the one in Kalamazoo! When we left the banquet, it was still cold, blustery and raining. Jared and I had set aside Wednesday as our pumpkin day, when we'd venture out to Gene the Pumpkin Man's farm and then spend the evening carving our finds. Unfortunately, prospects of good weather for that day were looking pretty bleak.  
But lo and behold, Wednesday morning met us with blue skies and plenty of sunshine! It was a bit windy, but Jared and I still enjoyed our annual trip to Gene the Pumpkin Man's farm.
A little bit of pre-pumpkin-farm excitement
Gene the Pumpkin Man's pumpkin kingdom!
Jared with his pumpkin find
It was really windy!
And on the way back, we ran into a little bit of adventure when we pulled over to watch 15+ cop cars, sirens blaring and lights blinking, zoom past us in pursuit of a car. Turns out, we were kind of part of a high speed car chase! The full story is here. These are our completed pumpkins!
Mine's the spider web, Jared's is the bat
We don't have any candles, otherwise they'd be lit up. Somehow this happens every year lol.
I've now carved a total of three pumpkins this Halloween (which is more than enough!) but these are still my favorite :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment